ISG Meeting Thursday, 8 February
The key points from the ISG meeting are as follows:
- A Period 1 update was provided with full year volume currently assessed as 62m GA1CK and 75m HW1CK, with an update expected to be received on 12 February. Anecdotal reports are indicating 2018 may be an earlier season than 2017. There is a lot of optimism that sizes will lift and volumes will be up.
- Indicative procurement volumes will be published to the industry on 16 February and Period 2 volume on 8 March based on updated estimates and subsequent reforecasting.
- A 2018 Class 2 overview was given. For 2018 HW2CK sizing will be as per 2017. For GA2CK Zespri will procure for export sizes 18s and are unlikely to procure 39s and 42 unless there is significant supply volume and demand. Zespri intends to allow the use of the Zespri Brand for GA2CK sold in New Zealand under the Domestic Market SLA, with packaging requirement likely to be the same export standard.
- A new MSC service will commence in March 2018, calling on a fortnightly basis, to provide Northland Suppliers (and the Northland region in general) with an option to ship to a number of global markets directly from Marsden Point. MSC will commence calling in week 19 for Zespri kiwifruit exports and the export program will conclude on or around week 30. The participating markets for the 2018 season are Japan and China.
- ISG sub-group updates were received from Supplier Accountability, Schedule 2, Vessel Assessment Committee and Legal Review (2018 Supply Agreement). All sub-groups are progressing well, with representation from growers, Zespri, and suppliers.
- Zespri have agreed to supply an industry information paper on the TZG regression line.